Thursday, March 5, 2009

Popcorn!!! Quick Reviews


Ganja and Hess- I don’t know what is scarier; The fact that this movie is considered art or the fact that I sat through the entirety of this film. While this might have been a milestone for on-screen black identity, it is one that has been seemingly forgotten by blacks as a mass. I argue that this might not be such a bad thing.


Menace to Society- The Hughes brothers were individually twenty years old when they made this film! They directed this tale of street life and it’s predictable outcome with the playful imagination of someone half their age but with the discipline of someone twice their age.

Belly- Everyone in my generation has Attention Deficit Disorder. We can’t help it. Thanks to Hype Williams, we have a film that we can set through. Originally panned by critics as eye candy without substance, this film has found a devout cult following in recent years… In the commentary, Williams said that he had hours of deleted footage. I will know that heaven has got a ghetto, when I see the Criterion release for Belly!

No comments: