Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Passion of Joan of Arc (Directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer)



I usually do not rent films before 1950 unless it is a Film Noir or directed by either Fritz Lang or Jules Dassin. I believe modern films have expanded upon the ideas that these films initially relied upon and the progression in filmmaking has left these films unexciting. Every now and then a film before the 1950’s can hold my attention. Unfourtanetly, Joan of Arc falls into the previous category.

Honestly, I want to enjoy this film. I want to be able to talk about how great it is. Instead, I am going to commit Blasphemy and critique a film that was made almost a century ago.

I understand there were major limitations for early filmmakers but I cant help that this film put me to sleep TWICE! I admit, the focusing on the emotions presented by the Human face is initially a great idea, but it is not a photographic element that neither keeps my attention nor carries a film of this length. The film is visually haunting and the burn scene is eerily realistic. But you wait through what seems an eternity for the films most famous and controversial scene… Kind of like Vincent Gallo’s Brown Bunny. Actually, Just like Vincent Gallo’s Brown Bunny.

No comments: